While many overseas are convinced that Italian food is all about pasta and pizza, I can assure you that there are plenty of chicken, meat and fish or seafood dishes (as well as lots of naturally vegetarian and vegan dishes) you can try in Italy. One of the best summer recipes is a staple of Roman cuisine: pollo con peperoni – chicken with peppers, in English.
Ingredients to prepare this dish are very easy to come across, anywhere in the world, and preparing it is just as easy. Just make sure to follow my pollo con peperoni recipe for best results!
How To Make Pollo Con Peperoni – Chicken With Peppers
- 1.6 pound (750 grams) chicken breast
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 3 large cooking tomatoes
- 1 cup (200 milliliters) tomato sauce
- 1 glass white wine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprig of thyme
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
STEP 1 - DICE THE CHICKEN
- Dice the chicken into small cubes.
STEP 2 - DICE THE PEPPERS
- Dice the bell peppers into pieces of around 1x1.5 inches.
STEP 3 - DICE THE TOMATOES
- Dice the tomatoes in small pieces.
STEP 4 - Press the garlic
- Lightly press the garlic with the back of your knife in order to remove the skin.
STEP 5 - COOK THE CHICKEN
- In a casserole, heat the extra virgin olive oil and fry the garlic, then add the chicken and salt it.
STEP 6 - ADD THE WINE
- Add the wine and let it evaporate, then add the diced tomatoes and pepper and salt again.
STEP 7 - ADD THE TOMATO SAUCE
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the tomato sauce and the thyme.
STEP 8 - FINISH COOKING THE CHICKEN
- Place a lid on the casserole and continue cooking on low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes, depending on how large the chicken chunks are.
STEP 9 - LET IT REST
- Once cooked, remove from heat and let your pollo con peperoni rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot and with good sourdough bread for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 735Total Fat: 33 grgSaturated Fat: 5.9 grgTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24.7 grgCholesterol: 206 mgmgSodium: 744 mgmgCarbohydrates: 20 grgFiber: 4.7 grgSugar: 9.9 grgProtein: 79 grg
Pollo Con Peperoni Q&A
What kind of chicken should I use to prepare this recipe?
I recommend picking free-range chicken – it’s healthier, and its meat is tastier and has a better texture.
Can I use already cooked peppers?
It’s best you don’t, actually. Raw peppers release water and juices as they cook, and this helps softer the chicken.
Peppers are kind of heavy for me – what can I do to make them easier to digest?
Make sure to get rid of all the white filaments and try to get rid of the thin skin and your bell peppers will be much easier to digest.
Can I use chicken legs instead of breast?
You certainly can – in fact, it is recommended if you prefer a softer, juicier kind of meat.
Can I freeze pollo con peperoni?
You certainly can, as long as you prepared it using fresh ingredients.
How long does it keep in the fridge?
You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days in a sealed container.
For more recipes, check out these posts:
- How To Make Carciofi Alla Romana
- How To Make Saltimbocca Alla Romana
- How To Make Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
- How To Make Bucatini All’Amatriciana
- How To Make Spaghetti Cacio E Pepe
- How To Make Pasta Alla Gricia
- How To Make Supplì Al Telefono
- How To Make Puntarelle Alla Romana
- How To Make Gnocchi Alla Romana
- How To Make Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca